April 3, 2017
To: STEM Lab parents
Re: Applicants for open STEM LAB PTO Executive Board Officers
From: Janette Walters, Executive Director of Secondary Schools
Dear STEM LAB Parents Welcome back! I hope you all had a restful Spring break. As we enter the end of the 2016-2017 school year, it is time again to ask for interested STEM Lab parents to apply to serve in one of the five open Executive Board Officers of President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer and Fundraising Chair.
Below you will find the duties for each of the five open positions:
The President shall: TWO year term starting in July 2017- June 2019
- Ensure the PTO mission is carried out throughout the school year.
- Plan and preside at all meetings of the Organization.
- Coordinate and support the work of the Executive Board and the Leadership Team.
- Establish all meeting dates and times for the year with the Principal.
- Provide updates and calendar items for the monthly PTO newsletter.
- Manage the election during even numbered years.
- Promote communication with and support of staff and teachers throughout the school year.
The Vice President shall: ONE year term starting in July 2017- June 2018
- Perform the duties of the President in his/her absence.
- Assist the President in all duties.
- Support the work of the Executive Board and the Leadership Team.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the President.
- Manage the election during odd number years
The Treasurer shall: TWO year term starting in July 2017- June 2019
- Ensure the finances of the PTO and act as custodian of all funds raised by the Organization.
- Prepare an annual budget for approval by the Executive Board and the Organization.
- Prepare financial reports and present at each Organization meeting.
- Prepare an end-of year financial report to be presented at the final Organization meeting of the school year.
- Maintain accurate accounts of income and expenditures.
- Write all checks, pay all bills and make any other approved disbursements.
- Aid in counting and making deposits of monies received after fundraising activities and other events.
- Perform monthly bank reconciliation with Assistant Treasurer.
- File required annual Federal Tax documents and Charitable Solicitations Act documents with State of Colorado.
- Submit financials at the end of each semester to the Principal for submittal to the district.
The Secretary shall: TWO year term starting in July 2017- June 2019
- Print and distribute agendas for all PTO meetings.
- Keep minutes of all meetings. Ensure the minutes of all meetings are documented, distributed, and maintained.
- File and maintain all records including the By-Laws.
- Coordinate with the President to distribute a monthly PTO newsletter.
- Ensure that reminders for all meetings are distributed.
The Fundraising Chair shall: ONE year term starting in July 2017- June 2018
- Coordinate all fundraising events of the Organization.
- Gather fundraising ideas and present to the Executive Board for feedback and approval.
- Ensure monetary and in-kind donations are raised in support of the PTO planned activities and budget requirements.
- Coordinate all fundraising materials for distribution, including but not limited to, flyers and brochures.
- Oversee Box Tops, Dine-Out, and Grocery Store Card Coordinator
- Assist Treasurer in counting and documenting monies raised for each event.
- Set up and oversee committees as necessary.
Elections Process: Officer elections will be overseen by the Executive Director of Secondary Schools.
Interested candidates must submit a high resolution picture of themselves (head-shot), along with a letter of interest (no longer than 200 words) outlining their reasoning for seeking the open position.
Applicants DUE DATE: April 14, 2017 5:00 p.m. submit information via email to Janette.Walters@adams12.org.
Election of Officers by electronic ballot from April 20, 2017 8:00 a.m. to May 9, 2017 5:00 p.m. A google link will be sent to all STEM Lab parents via Infinite Campus. To complete the ballot, parents will be asked to provide their general information including email address, student email address etc., and rank each of the candidates. In the event of a tie, the candidate with the highest amount of second place rankings will be elected.
Announcement of Officers: May 11, 2017 at 3:30 p.m. Officer Elections announced and Officer sworn in.
Thank you for your continued support of STEM LAB, we greatly appreciate your participation in this work.
Janette Walters Executive Director of Schools